If you’re more than 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under 4, you may be entitled to get help to buy healthy food and milk.
If you’re eligible, you’ll be sent a Healthy Start card with money on it that you can use in some UK shops. We’ll add your benefit onto this card every 4 weeks.
Get help to buy food and milk (the Healthy Start scheme)
You can use your card to buy:
• Plain liquid cow’s milk
• Fresh, frozen, and tinned fruit and vegetables
• Fresh, dried, and tinned pulses
• Infant formula milk based on cow’s milk
You can also use your card to collect:
• Healthy Start vitamins – these support you during pregnancy and breastfeeding
• Vitamin drops for babies and young children – these are suitable from birth to 4 years old
How much will I get for my children?
• £4.25 each week of your pregnancy (from the 10th week of your pregnancy)
• £8.50 each week for children from birth to 1 year old
• £4.25 each week for children between 1 and 4 years old
Further information can be found here: www.healthystart.nhs.uk
How to apply?
Where can I use my vouchers?
You can use your card in most places that sell milk, infant formula, fruit, and vegetables. These include:
• convenience stores
• grocery stores
• drug stores and pharmacies
• dairy products stores
• news dealers and newsstands
• freezer and locker meat provisioners (such as butcher shops)
• petrol stations
They must display a Mastercard® symbol. The symbol is normally shown on the shop door or at the till. Ask an employee inside the shop if they take Mastercard if you’re unsure.
Did you know?
Over 1500 eligible families in Luton are not signed up to the scheme and are missing out on getting this support.
© Groundwork East 2023